Friday 15 November 2019

The Oak Seed Project - This month's topic is "Putting Yourself First"




Following last month's request for Project Ambassadors 
I thought I would begin 
as I mean to go on and invite readers 
to comment on the following topic 


PUTTING
         YOURSELF 
                       FIRST!    


If, like I did a number of years ago, you work in a job where you work long hours and where there can at times, be incredible pressures on you to get certain projects delivered within specific parameters such as client satisfaction, time constraints, budgetary limitations.


man sitting on chair using gray Toshiba ThinkPad

The more I worked the less happy I was with my job, I felt that I was swimming in treacle and that the rewards never matched the effort that I was putting in.  I was heading towards depression and my wife had noticed and finally said something to me about her concerns.

However I poo-pooed her comments at first, but as time went by I became more and more wrapped up in what I was doing and spent more time at the office than I ever did with her. 

Eventually something hit me like bullet 

 I HAD TO ESCAPE!!!

And so I quite literally ran for the hills!  While she was at work I wrote a short note telling her that I loved her, I packed a few things in a bag, picked up my guitar and drove off into the sunset looking for purple spaceships.

Those 2 nights were the worst nights of my life, I cried and drank, I cried again, I drank some more and eventually headed into a tear and alcohol fueled oblivion.

When I finally made my way home, I was very unsure of what the reception would be, but I knew that I had to face it if my marriage was to stand any chance of survival.

Hours and hours of talking followed and eventually the decision was reached that I would tender my resignation on the grounds that I was no longer able to cope with the stresses of that work environment.

And so that, as they say, was then and after a long crawl back to a better and happier life this is now! 

I am older, maybe wiser (at least I hope I am) and much more together.  I am working as a coach / therapist, I have written and published several books and more besides.  All of this has come about because I took the decision (alongside and encouraged by my wife) to put myself first.

oooOOOooo

So now over to you - please comment below with your own stories so that we can start building the monthly discussions that The Oak Seed Project is going to be all about.

Here is the first of the "on topic" videos etc. for discussion during the month.



Have a fantastic month.

DAve x

PS - we are still on the lookout for Project Ambassadors, so if you would like to know a little more please read our earlier post and if the idea appeals to you




No comments:

Post a Comment

15/11/23 Making My Way Back…….

  Hello and Merry Meet After what seems to be an absolute eternity I feel that I am now getting into a position where I can begin to reboot ...