Tuesday 23 March 2021

Being Assertive



      

       BEING ASSERTIVE




This week I decided that I would write a short piece about being assertive.  It is my belief that standing up for yourself can be hard - but there is a way to learn how to be stronger in your approach!

It is important to get your point across to the other person.  However, there are many ways that you can do this so here are just a few

a) Focus on what can be done - say something such as “I understand that it must be difficult for you but we can take that into account when we look at what we can do”

b) State what you want using some words such as what I would prefer is this........

c)Take ownership of your ideas and feelings and viewpoints And you can do this by using the phrase “this is how I see the situation....”

d) Do not focus on opinions but use behaviour and facts such as “When I saw you do…”

e) Make clear statements for example “I don’t have a preference for what we do…“

f) Create a habit of asking open questions - the type that invite the other person to give their view

g) Make sure you focus on what can be done by saying “I know it must be difficult, but we can take that into account…“

It also helps to use the following as ideas:-

Avoid falling into the I win / you lose trap - this view tends to indicate that we live in a hostile place and that the way to survive is to be the stronger person, to strike first because "the best form of defence is attack"

Conversely avoid falling in to the you win / I lose trap because this makes the assumption that your needs (when compared to others) are not as important. You appear to be anxious about standing up for what you want so you make other people feel guilty or sorry for you

So the best thing to do is to adopt the I win / you win situation. This way acknowledges that each persons rights are equally as important as everyone else’s!  You are responsible for your own behaviour and the consequences of that behaviour

And that brings us to the end of the short piece on being assertive it can be hard to stand up for yourself but you can learn to be strong.

(Based on a piece entitled "Be Assertive" by Suzanne and Conrad Potts)

ooo000ooo


About Dave   I am a personal development coach; a therapist; speaker; and  radio presenter.  A number of years ago I founded my coaching practice and although it has gone through various incarnations the core of Altered Image Coaching has always remained the same to help and encourage people to live their best lives.  

Certifications

I hold qualifications in the following disciplines:-

Life Coaching (Honours Diploma)

Music Therapy (Diploma)

Crystal Therapy (Practioner)

Reiki (Practitioner)

Dementia Awareness

plus I am compiling a series of short videos that will provide an 

Introduction To Mindfulness

To enquire / book a session, then please email me.

If you would like to join our Facebook group just follow the link below to the Altered Image Coaching page. The page is home to a group of like - minded people (affectionately knows as "the tribe").

By way of a thank you for their continued support Tribe Members regularly receive exclusive content that I do not post anywhere else.  The page also provides advanced information about forthcoming projects and events.

So please spread the word about the blog, the tribe etc. to your friends and family and I hope to see you as a member of our "Tribe" soon.





LINKS

Website:

Wytchwynd Photography:

Pinterest:

To subscribe to the blog please go over to the right hand side of this page and click the button that says “Follow”.  Once you do that you will be added to our list of subscribers.

Feel free to share this and other posts with your friends and associates

Inspirational Phrases

In addition to the above I am able to send out a daily email containing an Inspirational Phrase. 

To ensure that we comply with the relevant regulations this is a subscription only service and to  be included please send an email using “add me” as the subject to:- 


Once you have subscribed the phrases will be delivered to your mail box every day at no cost to you whatsoever.

Have a fantastic day, live a life of Passion and Power.

And above all

Don't Predict The Future - CREATE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment

15/11/23 Making My Way Back…….

  Hello and Merry Meet After what seems to be an absolute eternity I feel that I am now getting into a position where I can begin to reboot ...